Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
from: Happytown; Dave Carter
...here in the shining city, here in the endless summer
here in the cave of wonder number ninety-two
the book is empty from the sparrow's point of view
but it's all right, it's all right with me if it's all right with you
shootin' fools and starry gazers, wizard hip and button down
i walk the occam's razor way through priests and circus clowns
am i a visioner of faith or grace or vision or
another grinning prisoner in happytown
1. What did you do in 2003 that you'd never done before?
wrote in public (and lived)
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I generally resolve to be happy, and I do my best to keep it
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
no, but last years's unexpected grief is still unexpectedly fresh, thanks
5. What countries did you visit?
Gondor, Rohan, Gondolin, Doriath...
6. What would you like to have in 2004 that you lacked in 2003?
7. What date from 2003 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
december 16 - trilogy tuesday. turns out, I am *not* too old for this.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I wrote "Breathe" which opened the floodgates, and "Home By Morning" which has a life of its own now...
9. What was your biggest failure?
letting other peoples words stop me from reaching for my own
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I suffer only age, and I do not suffer it gladly
11. What was the best thing you bought?
The Silmarillion unabridged on cd's, Jim's G5
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
I have the blessing of great friends and I try to celebrate them all ways.
Jim makes me celebrate just by drawing breath.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Our president is so far out in front of the pack it is hard to notice what anyone else might have done...
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
words on the page
16. What song will always remind you of 2003?
Into the West
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
...i. happier or sadder?
...ii. thinner or fatter?
holding a line I hoped to break
...iii. richer or poorer?
I am richer every year (oh, did you mean $$?)
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
celebrating light with those I love
22. Did you fall in love in 2003?
yes. I fall in love at first sight, every day.
23. How many one-night stands?
how many times in one night would be more applicable...
24. What was your favorite TV program?
CSI, MI5, West Wing
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
my upstairs neighbors, who refuse to believe in the concept that they live *upstairs* Who knew the vacuum was an instrument of torture? But I would have overlooked it all if they were not the kind of people who stare and glare silently at you when you say hello to them...
26. What was the best book you read?
for the first time? Book of Lost Tales II
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
that I could buy the new Oysterband cd from amazon.dk
new Stephen Eicher double album (amazon.fr)
Max Rabbe - through the same folks (Annaliese and Lee) who turned me on to "The Devil Is My Friend" by the Jazz Butchers
28. What did you want and get?
to feel like I had written something worthwhile
29. What did you want and not get?
that which I worked hard for (damn diet)
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
return of the king.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
dinner with Jim; I was 51
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
continuing to feel some benefit from staying on my diet
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2003?
black jeans, grey men's sleeveless undershirt.
34. What (who) kept you sane?
writing and jim
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
david wenham (you can pretty much take "the most" off the question)
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
same sex marriage
37. Who did you miss?
You. Dave (see #4). Mum.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
I love my writing peers, here and at HASA, and the secret-sharing of words and pictures
(But cruisedirector made me come out here...)
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2003?
it is perfectly possible to be jealous of a noun, a verb and a conjunction.
it is a blessing to know people in every time zone
on the internet, no one knows your a dog....
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
My own outside the cut.
My fileg song here: Dave Carter
he lays me down in his garden growin bed
he weaves a crown, twigs and feathers for my head
he sings the fields awake
and folds me in the love that makes me whole
gentle soldier of my soul