"The design was originally created in 1936... by Lew Parry, built by Neon Products at the first Vancouver Air Terminal from 1939 to 1972 when it was scrapped because of rust. In 1985 the Vancouver Transportation Club and the Sheet Metal Workers Union 280 decided to build a replica to celebrate Vancouver's 100th birthday. They located Lew Parry and he still had the original plans... The Rocket was exhibited at Expo 86 and then donated to the city. A Centennial Time Capsule is housed in the base of the rocket, scheduled to be opened 50 years from 1986."
click to embiggen pics: Old New